The data is clear: Heart issues are the leading cause of death in the U.S. for both men and women, claiming well over half a million lives each year — that’s 1 out of every 4 deaths.
When it comes to heart health, most doctors focus on the need for a balance of “good” HDL cholesterol and “bad” LDL cholesterol.
But as important as that advice is, there is another, more dangerous form of cholesterol that very few doctors ever mention, and even fewer monitor with their patients.
Indeed, this often-ignored form of cholesterol can lead to:
- Impaired artery function
- Lower levels of protective HDL cholesterol
- Triple the risk of serious heart problems!
Please keep reading, because you deserve to know about a safe, effective way to combat this especially dangerous form of cholesterol that your doctor has almost certainly never mentioned to you.
What Happens When LDL Cholesterol Oxidizes
The extremely dangerous type of cholesterol I’m talking about is oxidized LDL, or oxLDL. Essentially, oxidized LDL is normal cholesterol that’s turned rancid, wreaking havoc on your arteries. Here’s how…
If you think of a weather-beaten nail that has oxidized or become rusty over time, that is essentially what free radicals are constantly doing to the normal LDL within your body. Once oxidized, this cholesterol can more easily get lodged within the delicate lining of your arteries, which circulate blood and oxygen to your heart, brain and the rest of your essential organs.
As this jagged oxLDL scrapes along the delicate lining, it can trigger inflammation throughout the affected area. To help douse these inflammatory fires, healing white blood cells swoop in to gobble up the oxidized cholesterol and capture it inside cells known as foam cells — essentially rendering that rancid LDL harmless.
The Problem with Your Natural Defense Mechanism
Unfortunately, your natural defense mechanism has one major drawback. To effectively nullify the threat posed by oxidized LDL, these foam cells need another important substance to form a protective barrier over the oxLDL: plaque. Essentially, the plaque is drawn to the area, forms a protective coating over the foam cells and “locks in” the oxLDL, so it can’t cause further inflammation and damage.
As this process happens over and over again and more foam cells designed to heal the damage swoop in, large amounts of plaque are deposited inside your arteries!
And as you probably know, the more plaque in your arteries, the narrower they become, making it harder for blood and oxygen to pass through. This makes your arteries and blood vessels work harder to pump needed blood around your body. And the harder your arteries and blood vessels have to work to pump blood to all your cells, tissues and vital organs, the higher your blood pressure climbs.
It’s a vicious cycle. As plaque deposits grow…as arteries begin to narrow…as more pressure is needed to pump vital blood, nutrients and oxygen around your body, the more your health suffers.
So What Causes Oxidized Cholesterol?
Now you’ve seen what happens when LDL cholesterol turns into rancid, oxidized LDL cholesterol. But what causes this oxidation process? As it turns out, there are a number of triggers…
#1: Too many harmful items in your diet. If you regularly eat processed foods, then you’ve probably got an overabundance of oxLDL cholesterol in your body. And foods cooked in common vegetable cooking oils are absolutely loaded with harmful free radicals.
#2: Not eating enough fruits, vegetables, and omega-3. Healthy foods contain important nutrients to help lower cholesterol. And they’re also teeming with antioxidants that zap free radicals and promote a healthy inflammatory response. In addition, studies show that omega-3 can help lower oxidized cholesterol levels by as much as 16%!
#3: Smoking and excessive alcohol consumption. These bad habits trigger an overload of health-robbing free radicals. And as we’ve seen, free radicals are one of the biggest triggers behind the oxidation of LDL cholesterol.
So Why Aren’t You Hearing About Oxidized LDL from Your Doctor?
If oxLDL is the real culprit behind an increased risk of cardiovascular threats and a much more accurate predictor of severe heart issues, why are most doctors so focused on LDL, HDL and triglycerides? Unfortunately, the standard blood tests for cholesterol recommend by the American Heart Association, taught in medical schools across the country and practiced by most mainstream doctors don’t pick up oxLDL cholesterol levels.
Studies have shown that the cholesterol-lowering statin drugs doctors often prescribe can have a small positive impact on oxLDL. But there’s one big drawback when it comes to these drugs. These studies also show that statin drugs deplete levels of the precious heart-helper nutrient CoQ10 in your body!
Not only is CoQ10 important for your overall cardiovascular health, it’s also a powerful destroyer of oxLDL cholesterol. So in essence, what statins give you with one hand, they can take away with the other by depleting stores of CoQ10 in your bloodstream.
So if you’re really serious about protecting your heart and your cardiovascular system and controlling your levels of oxLDL, then you need to know about an effective solution discovered in a tiny region in Italy.
In fact, the effects of this “Italian Secret” on oxLDL and other cholesterol markers are so powerful and so pronounced, it’s one of only a very few natural substances that have been granted a United States patent as a natural cholesterol remedy! (Patent #20110223271.)
The Bergamo Paradox
Discovered in the Calabria region of Bergamo, the cholesterol-lowering benefits of the bergamot orange were first observed in the residents of this small area of Italy. Researchers found that despite eating a high-fat diet, there was something startling about these people: They almost always were able to maintain a healthy cholesterol balance, and oxidized LDL was almost non-existent, helping them to maintain plaque-free arteries!
According to scientists at the University of Bologna in Italy, when the juices of this remarkable citrus plant were extracted and tested, the antioxidants and polyphenols in bergamot exhibited remarkable cardiovascular benefits.
In a 2013 study of this unique fruit published in the International Journal of Cardiology, participants with high cholesterol saw their levels drop 31% on average in just four weeks!
In another study, 192 patients were given 100 milliliters of citrus bergamot juice daily for 30 days. In addition to burning up levels of oxidized LDL, study participants also experienced…
- A reduction of total cholesterol levels by 35%…
- LDL cholesterol levels tumbling by 41%…
- Triglycerides falling 38%…
- And levels of “good” HDL cholesterol levels boosted by 56%!
In addition, the researchers also noted one other important benefit: study participants’ blood sugar levels also fell by 22%.
So what have blood sugar levels got to do with cholesterol? Well, as it turns out, high levels of blood sugar is a leading cause of harmful levels of inflammation in the body. And as we’ve seen above, inflammation is one of the biggest triggers behind the oxidation of LDL cholesterol.
How Bergamot Helps Clobber Cholesterol
Bergamot contains 7 powerful antioxidants, polyphenols, flavonoids and unique glycosides to help clobber cholesterol (including oxLDL), support your arteries and boost your entire cardiovascular system. Here’s how they work to help you balance cholesterol…
- Blocks cholesterol production in your liver. Powerful flavonoid compounds found in bergamot called melitidine and brutieridine keep cholesterol levels in check by blocking the action of the HMG-CoA reductase — the enzyme in your liver that produces cholesterol – resulting in reduced cholesterol in the cells of the liver.
- Protects your arteries, prevents LDL oxidation. Bergamot also contains three unique compounds known as glycosides — narigin, neoeriocitrin and rutin. Neoeriocitrin and rutin in particular are shown to help burn up oxidized LDL cholesterol. In addition, powerful polyphenols in bergamot help keep arteries healthy by neutralizing rogue free radicals that damage the delicate endothelium cells that line the arteries.
- Cuts blood sugar levels that trigger inflammation inside arteries. In addition to its powerful effects on the cardiovascular system, bergamot also helps lower blood glucose levels. High blood sugar damages your arteries by triggering inflammatory compounds in your body — including inside your arteries. And as we’ve already seen, inflammation inside your arteries causes damage to the artery lining, which leads to dangerous plaque formation.
Get the Powerful Cholesterol-Busting Effects of Bergamot, Plus Other Powerful Free-Radical Fighters
As you may be aware, in addition to my work with Live in the Now, I also run Stop Aging Now, a company that has been making premium grade dietary supplements for over 20 years.
After studying the effects of bergamot on cholesterol levels…after reading through pages and pages of clinical studies…and seeing the positive impact it has had on thousands of people just like you and me, I started looking for a bergamot-based supplement to recommend to my readers.
But everything I found that had the right ingredients in the right dosages was outrageously expensive. So I set out to work with the company’s Scientific Advisory Board to develop an effective bergamot formula that is both potent and affordable. It’s called Cholesterol360®.
Cholesterol360 is made with Bergamonte®, the extract form of bergamot that’s the purest, most potent, most effective form of bergamot available. And it’s by far the easiest way to get the cholesterol-lowering benefits of bergamot on a daily basis.
In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, researchers split participants into two groups. One group received a placebo. And the other group were given 500 mg a day of bergamot extract for 30 days.
They tested the cholesterol levels of the patients at the beginning and end of the study, and the difference in the results between the two groups was like night and day.
In the placebo group, total cholesterol levels improved by just 0.14%… HDL levels increased by 1.2%… LDL went down just 1.1%. Triglycerides improved by 0.10%…and blood glucose levels dropped by just 0.5%.
In the Bergamonte group:
- Total cholesterol dropped 21%
- LDL cholesterol fell by 24%
- Triglycerides were reduced by 29%
- HDL cholesterol was boosted 22%
- And blood glucose levels fell by 18%
These outstanding results were confirmed in still another study. Dr. Vincenzo Mollace, professor of cardiology at the Magna Graecia University in Catanzaro, Italy, increased the dosage to 1,000 mg of bergamot extract daily for 30 days, and the results got even better:
- LDL cholesterol dropped 38%
- Triglycerides fell by 41%
- HDL cholesterol went up by 42%
- Blood glucose levels tumbled by 25%
And Cholesterol360 combines Bergamonte with potent antioxidant-rich extracts of green tea and grape seed to help further protect against cholesterol oxidation while supporting healthy blood vessels and overall cardiovascular health.
Why I Personally Recommend Cholesterol360
I invite you to do your own research to see what other options are out there, but I think you’ll find no other product quite like Cholesterol360. And certainly none that are both this potent and this affordable.
- Just one small Cholesterol360 capsule features a potent 500 mg dose of Bergamonte® citrus extract — the very same brand and extract that produced such impressive cholesterol-balancing research results.
- Cholesterol360 is enhanced with 25 mg of standardized green tea extract to provide crucial antioxidant polyphenols. Studies have shown that green tea can help keep LDL cholesterol levels in the healthy range, lower triglycerides, and even help boost “good” HDL cholesterol levels, too. It can also help burn up excess levels of oxidized LDL, prevent absorption of cholesterol in the digestive tract and help the body in removing excess cholesterol.
- Cholesterol360 contains 25 mg of standardized grape seed extract. Grape seed is rich in antioxidants like vitamins C and E, and beta-carotene. These important antioxidants help snuff out damaging free radicals that can trigger inflammation and lead to LDL oxidation. Plus, it’s rich in oligomeric proanthocyanidin complexes (OPCs) — a group of potent nutrients that have been shown in studies to boost beneficial HDL levels by up to 13%…and reduce LDL levels. In addition, grape seed extract is rich in linoleic acid which has been shown to help prevent the formation of oxidized LDL.
- Cholesterol360 is made in Stop Aging Now’s own FDA-inspected facility located in Florida to meet or exceed stringent USP standards for quality, purity and potency.
- Cholesterol360 ships to you for free and comes with an amazing 365-day “any reason” guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the results, you can get every penny back. This way you risk nothing!
For a limited time, Live in the Now readers can get Cholesterol360 for as low as $19.95 a bottle — with free shipping. I encourage you to take advantage of this great deal.
- Rundek T, et al. Arch Neurol 2004;61:889-892.