The Essential Brain Nutrient You’ve Probably Never Heard of
As we age, it’s only natural that we want to maintain our mental sharpness, memory performance and positive outlook. However, too often it doesn’t end up this way. One study found that up to 50% of adults suffer some cognitive impairment by the time they turn 70.
Fortunately, there’s a lot you can do proactively to stay mentally sharp, and making sure you are supplying your brain with all of the vital nutrients it needs is absolutely critical.
One essential (but little-known) nutrient is showing remarkable promise for its ability to help keep aging brains youthful, energized and resilient.
Unlike better-known brain nutrients like omega-3s and curcumin that provide whole-body benefits which include the brain, this nutrient is one of the few that works exclusively in your brain and nervous system to help them perform at their best.
A mountain of gold-standard studies show it can help reduce age-related cognitive decline…support memory, focus and concentration…and maintain overall brain health as you age.
And yet, most people have never heard of it. But that will soon change, because it’s…
Far and Away the Most Intriguing Brain Nutrient Yet Discovered to Fight Off Mental Aging
Please keep reading, because I’m glad to say that science is finally catching up to nature’s power when it comes to brain health and memory support. And these remarkable breakthroughs could hold the key to helping you stay your sharpest through your 60s, 70s, 80s and beyond.
Why Your Brain Craves This Essential Nutrient
The amazing nutrient I want to make sure you know about is a phospholipid, a member of a class of healthy fats that regulates what enters and exits every cell of your body, and what passes from one cell to the next.
The specific phospholipid I’m talking about today is truly unique, because it is primarily found in brain cells and throughout the nervous system, and it is absolutely critical to memory, thinking ability, concentration, focus and mood.
Picture your brain as the ultimate information highway, working to keep every pathway open, energized and functioning at its best to:[3-5]
- Facilitate the release of neurotransmitters like dopamine and noradrenaline, which are essential for cognitive and emotional health
- Support energy production within brain cells by maintaining mitochondrial function
- Promote normal memory processes by helping to activate the enzyme complex protein kinase C
This remarkable phospholipid also contains a high level of DHA, which is one of the most important omega-3 fatty acids. As a result, it works inside brain cells as a powerful antioxidant, too.
So you can see why I consider it…
The Most Important Targeted “Brainpower” Nutrient of All
This brain-loving nutrient is called phosphatidylserine and, yes, that’s a mouthful. It’s pronounced “PHOS-fuh-TIDAL-serine,” but it is commonly referred to as simply PS — and your brain cells absolutely depend on it.
So why isn’t PS more familiar when it comes to brain health than other powerhouse nutrients like curcumin or omega-3s? The answer is pretty simple really. You see, your body synthesizes most of its own PS. That’s why much of the early scientific inquiry involved figuring out what it does instead of how to get more of it.
That changed, though, when scientists uncovered an alarming fact: Our natural PS levels begin to decline, sometimes sharply, as we reach middle age. And the problem can grow worse if you have common hidden deficiencies of folic acid, B12 or the essential fatty acids that are needed to synthesize PS.
This discovery led scientists to wonder…
Is Lower PS One Reason Our Brainpower Diminishes with Age?
The answer appears to be a resounding “YES.”
Research shows that low phosphatidylserine is indeed associated with declining cognitive powers in older individuals. And it stands to reason, because your brain’s constant demand for PS doesn’t change, even when your supply of it diminishes. Your brain craves PS day in and day out, regardless of your age.
Scientists now recognize that diet-based PS can be an amazingly effective way to shore up levels. But the fat-heavy meats that can provide notable levels of PS, such as kidney, brain, liver and chicken hearts are simply not very appealing to most of us. The fact is, today’s recommended lower-fat/reduced-meat diet provides much less PS than the typical diet our parents and grandparents consumed decades ago.
Today, the average daily intake is estimated at just 130 mg, and low-fat diets may contain as little as 100 mg of PS daily. In comparison, one report estimated that the typical diet in 1980 provided more than double this amount at 250 mg daily.
Science Steps in with a Solution — and Researchers Are Impressed
Knowing the vital role PS plays in brain health, researchers wanted to see if supplementation could make a difference in cognitive abilities, mental acuity and emotional well-being as we grow older.
And when they learned how to produce natural PS from plants rather than from animal organs, the breakthrough opened the doors to widespread availability for everyone. The only thing left to do was to test this amazing brain nutrient and see if it worked — and the results are extremely encouraging:
- In a six-month study of 425 elderly adults, those taking PS had measurably improved verbal memory, attention, motivation and social interaction. These benefits were noted at three months and maintained for the entire study period.
- A second study published in Neurology put nearly 150 patients with memory problems through tests designed to simulate typical daily living tasks. After 12 weeks, the group taking PS showed a greater ability to recall names, faces and numbers and had improved learning, memory and concentration scores.
- A 15-week study of 157 elderly patients with memory complaints found that patients with relatively good cognitive performance had significant improvements in immediate and delayed verbal recall as well as better learning abilities.
Gold-Standard Studies Like These Are Hard to Ignore
All of these studies were double-blind, placebo-controlled trials, the “gold standard” of research that produces the most reliable findings, and in each trial participants took 300 mg daily over the course of the study.
Here are four more that followed the same protocols:
- A study of adults with moderate cognitive loss found that those taking PS for 60 days had improved scores on attention, concentration and short-term memory tests.
- Another study of adults with mild to moderate cognitive issues found significant improvements in attention, vigilance and memory after 90 days of taking PS.
- A six-month study of elderly men and women with memory complaints showed that the memory scores of those taking PS were improved significantly.
- A 12-week study of patients with serious cognitive issues found those who took PS showed improvements in memory tasks. Those with fewer problems to begin with showed greater response to PS in terms of concentration and memory.
PS Can Promote Positive Mood Balance and Stress Control, Too
Not only can phosphatidylserine support cognitive function, it can also help promote mood balance and stress control.
- In one study, PS helped reverse chronic downcast moods among elderly women while also reducing anxiety and irritability.
- Another study of stress found that participants were more relaxed and had better stress coping skills after taking PS for 42 days. A similar trial reported less stress and better moods after 30 days of intake.
Should You Take a PS Supplement? Here Are My 4 “Takeaways”
I certainly urge you to review the studies and judge them for yourself. Here are my conclusions:
1. The optimism about PS is justified. I’ve been reviewing clinical research for decades and I’m very impressed. These gold-standard studies show that PS can make a genuine difference for adults who need a boost for brain health, memory and mood support.[12-18]
2. PS helped people at various stages of decline. It can help whether you just want to “clear out the cobwebs” and think more sharply again, or if you have more significant memory problems.[14,17,18]
3. PS can work quickly. Some studies have shown impressive results beginning in just a few weeks, while others report results at 30 days. What’s more, the results get even better over time.[12-18]
4. 300 mg daily seems to be the “magic number” for optimal PS usage. That’s the daily amount tested in the studies cited above, and this amount has been proven to be very safe.[12-19] Other studies using 100 mg or 200 mg also report benefits, but to a much lesser degree.[17,21]
Many PS Supplements Don’t Come Close to the “Magic Number” for Best Results
Please don’t make the critical mistake of just grabbing the first bottle you can find online or on the shelf.
Many PS supplements provide just 100 mg per capsule or less. Those levels may provide some benefits, but they don’t come close to matching the dosages used to achieve the outstanding results in the most promising clinical studies.
If you want to do all that you can to support your brain and memory, plus promote positive mood balance, a full-strength 300 mg dose of phosphatidylserine is what you should be looking for.
However, many of my readers complained to me that 300 mg PS supplements were simply too expensive. So I came up with a solution for…
An Affordable, Full-Strength Serving of Daily “Brain Food”
As you may know, in addition to my work with Live in the Now, I also run Stop Aging Now, a company that has been making premium-quality supplements for over 20 years.
I challenged my Scientific Advisory Board to create a full-strength 300 mg PS supplement that made it easy for people to take advantage of the amazing benefits of this brain-boosting nutrient, but at half the cost of other premium supplements.
After more than a year of research and development, the result is a breakthrough product called CogniTrex PS™ that is amazingly effective and affordable.
For a limited time, Live in the Now readers can get CogniTrex PS for as low as $19.95 per bottle plus free shipping. Click here to take advantage of this special offer.
Best of all, this formula is contained in just one small capsule per day, making it super-convenient, and it comes with a 365-Day Guarantee so there’s no risk for you to try it out.
Why CogniTrex PS Stands Above Other Brain Health Supplements
Based on this compelling research, I strongly urge you to make CogniTrex PS part of your daily cognitive health routine. With CogniTrex PS you can count on:
1. Full Research Dosage: With its 300 mg daily serving size, CogniTrex PS gives you the same amount of superior-grade phosphatidylserine used in the most impressive studies conducted to date.
2. Superior Quality: This is critical. Unlike many PS products, which are sometimes made from genetically modified raw ingredients, you can be sure CogniTrex PS is produced from non-GMO soybeans in a state-of-the-art FDA-inspected facility under the most stringent standards for quality, purity and potency.
3. No “Laundry List” of Other Ingredients: Some memory formulas contain as many as a dozen nutrients and herbs, which may seem impressive until you realize that the dosages are so small they provide little or no benefits, and that some of them may actually counteract the benefits of PS. CogniTrex PS is for people who want optimal amounts of this clinically researched, food-sourced brain nutrient, not an “everything plus the kitchen sink” mega-pill.
4. One-a-Day Convenience: Who wants to add a bunch of pills to their daily regimen? With CogniTrex PS, you get the full-strength dosage of PS with the convenience of a one-a-day formula.
5. Our 365-Day Money-Back Guarantee: If you’re not satisfied with CogniTrex PS for any reason, I will gladly send you a full refund — up to one year after purchase. This way you can try it without risk.
6. Quality You Can Afford: You can get CogniTrex PS for as low as $19.95 for a one-month supply, plus it ships to you for free. That’s a great deal for such a powerful cognitive health supplement. Many other premium-grade, extra-strength formulas cost more than double this amount!
Whether you’re frustrated by forgetfulness or simply want to “shake off the rust” and think as clearly today as you did years ago, I hope I have convinced you to give CogniTrex PS a try!
For a limited time, Live in the Now readers can get CogniTrex PS for as low as $19.95 per bottle plus free shipping.
- Ann Intern Med. 2008 March 18;148(6):427-34.
- Kidd, PM. PS (Phosphatidylserine) Nature’s Brain Booster. 2nd Edition. St. George, UT: Total Health Communications; 2007.
- Alt Med Rev. 2008;13(2):85-115.
- Sports Med. 2006;36(8):657-69.
- Kidd, Parris M., Ph.D. “Phosphatidyl serine and Aging.” Healthy & Natural Journal 2.5.
- Hamm, M. Ernährungswissenschaftliche Stellungnahme zur Veränderung der nutritiven Versorgung mit Phosphatidylserin (PS), 2002. (found at: http://www.phosphatidylserine.net)
- Aging Clin Exp Res. 1993;5:123-33.
- Neurology. 1991;41:644-49.
- Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2010;29:467–474. http://library.tasmc.org.il/Staff_Publications/publications%202010/vakhapova.pdf
- Clinical Trials Journal. 1987;24:73-83. Mentioned in Kidd, PM. PS (Phosphatidylserine) Nature’s Brain Booster. 2nd Edition. St. George, UT: Total Health Communications; 2007.
- Clinical Trials Journal. 1987;24:84-93. Mentioned in Kidd, PM. PS (Phosphatidylserine) Nature’s Brain Booster. 2nd Edition. St. George, UT: Total Health Communications; 2007.
- J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2010;47:246-55.
- Psychopharmacol Bull. 1992;28:61-6.
- Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1990;81:265-70.
- Nutr Neurosci. 2008;11(3):103-10.
- Nutr Neurosci. 2001;4:169-78.
Joshua Corn – Editor-in-Chief
Josh is a health freedom advocate and veteran of the natural health industry. He has been actively involved in the natural health movement for over 15 years, and has been dedicated to the promotion of health, vitality, longevity and natural living throughout his career. Josh has successfully overcome several personal health challenges through natural means, and believes that sharing information can empower people to take control of their health so they can solve their own problems and live life to its fullest potential. Josh is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of Live in the Now. Additionally he serves as CEO of Stop Aging Now, a company that has been formulating premium dietary supplements since 1995. Josh is currently working on his first book about natural health, and is gearing up to launch the Live in the Now radio show. In addition to his work in the natural health field, Josh is an avid outdoorsman, animal lover and enjoys “living in the now” with his wife and two sons.