The Antioxidant That’s 6,000x More Powerful Than Vitamin C
Scientists have spent decades researching natural solutions that could help you become an age-defying wonder with strong joints, youthful skin, a sharp memory and boundless energy.
Today, incredibly convincing evidence indicates that one super-nutrient can help you do it all. In fact, researchers haven’t been this excited since omega-3s and CoQ10 revolutionized heart health. And many believe this is even bigger!
The super-nutrient I’m talking about is called astaxanthin, and it’s the most powerful antioxidant ever discovered. As more and more human studies roll in, I’ve become absolutely convinced that this may be the single most essential anti-aging supplement of all.
How to Fight Dangerous Free Radical Overload and WIN
I’ve spent my career seeking answers for age-related conditions like heart problems, joint discomfort, vision issues and blood sugar imbalances. In virtually every case, the degenerative decline associated with aging is triggered by something called oxidative stress, and it can turn your life after 50 in to a painful, debilitating journey.
You see, oxidative stress never slows down in your body, as free radicals pound away at healthy cells. Unfortunately, these free radicals stay trapped inside your body where they damage healthy cells and deplete cellular energy. In fact, they damage your very DNA, accelerating the aging process and raising the risk for serious health problems.
Some examples of how oxidative stress can negatively affect your body:
- Aching muscles and painful joints
- Wrinkled skin, dryness and age spots
- Blurred vision, especially at night
- Clogged and hardened arteries
- Loss of memory and concentration
- Diminished energy levels
You simply must protect yourself from harmful free radicals. And astaxanthin is the most powerful free radical fighter on earth.
6,000 Times More Powerful Than Vitamin C
In a test that specifically measures the ability to neutralize a particularly unstable and destructive type of free radical called singlet oxygen, astaxanthin was shown to be up to:
- 40 times stronger than beta-carotene
- 100 times stronger than vitamin E
- 800 times stronger than CoQ10
- and 6,000 times stronger than vitamin C!
Singlet oxygen is linked to deadly cholesterol oxidation in the arteries, DNA damage and damage to skin, eyes and other tissues in the body. In fact, its destructive effects have been tied to a wide gamut of age-related health concerns.
And it gets better. As it turns out, astaxanthin’s molecular composition allows it to cross the blood-brain and blood-retina barriers that other antioxidants can’t cross.
That’s right: many antioxidants can’t protect your brain and eyes because they can’t get through to the cells that need protection. But astaxanthin can.
That means astaxanthin can scavenge free radicals and singlet oxygen in your brain, eyes, joints and central nervous system in ways ordinary antioxidants simply can’t. In fact, astaxanthin can enhance your health in so many possible ways that I call it the “magic bullet” of antioxidants.
Joints That Stay Flexible and Comfortable
The secret to lifelong comfort is keeping your cartilage healthy, and a big part of that is fighting off oxidative stress in cartilage collagen. If you don’t, the constant free radical attacks trigger tissue degradation that can make joints feel like agony. Some people may tell you that the soreness and stiffness are just an unavoidable part of aging. Those people are wrong!
Astaxanthin protects against this free radical breakdown better than any other nutrient. One well-known University of Memphis study found that astaxanthin eased discomfort even after strenuous exercise. Another study in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition reported reduced pain and greater mobility among people with joint pain after taking astaxanthin for only eight weeks.
Astaxanthin acts to lower important inflammatory markers, slowing production of inflammation and pain-causing enzymes. In one study, volunteers taking astaxanthin for 2 months saw their levels of C-reactive protein (CRP) plummet. CRP is an important marker of inflammation in the body — and high CRP levels affect heart health.
Healthier Cholesterol and Arteries the Natural Way
If you’ve never linked antioxidants with cholesterol management, you’re in for a big surprise because this may be one of astaxanthin’s biggest benefits of all.
One study found that LDL (“bad” cholesterol) was significantly lower among overweight individuals after just 12 weeks of taking astaxanthin. What’s more, another study found that astaxanthin raised “good” HDL cholesterol and reduced triglycerides.
Astaxanthin supports artery health, too. Studies indicate that it helps stop LDL cholesterol from oxidizing so that it won’t clog up and harden your arteries. And this artery-scrubbing effect means better circulation too.
Vision That Stays Clear and Focused
UV sunlight and oxidative stress produce serious damage to your vision. However, studies show that astaxanthin can help protect your eyes against the damage.[7,8]
Remember, astaxanthin can cross the blood-retina barrier to positively impact eye health. In fact, it’s the most powerful antioxidant among the carotenoids, which are well known for their eye-protective capabilities, and it’s been shown to be 5 times more potent than lutein, perhaps the most well-known “eye nutrient” of all!
Lifelong Memory Like a Steel Trap
Astaxanthin has been called the most “brain-friendly” antioxidant of all. So why just cross your fingers and hope your cognitive skills stay strong as you age?
Scientists know that oxidative stress on brain cells can lead to memory loss and cognitive problems. That’s because about 30% of the brain’s mass is highly susceptible to oxidation damage.
However it’s been shown that astaxanthin’s unique ability to cross the blood-brain barrier allows it to “get in” and protect brain cells better than any other antioxidant known. In fact, a study published in the prestigious Brain Journal singled out astaxanthin’s potential brain-health benefits and its ability to fight oxidative damage that can lead to mental decline.
Age-Defying Skin That’s Protected from Within
Most people rely on marginally effective lotions to keep their skin looking young. But the fact is, the most effective protection for your skin comes from within.You see, free radical damage is the biggest threat to your skin. And while you see the effects on the outside, astaxanthin helps heal and protect from the inside.
Astaxanthin not only helps protect your skin from future damage, it can also reverse years of damage relatively quickly. One of the ways it works is by protecting the skin’s outermost layer against oxidative stress. This enhances cell repair and collagen production, thus increasing skin moisture, reducing wrinkles and providing for firmer, more youthful looking skin.[11,12,13]
Revved-Up Energy, Stamina and Mobility
A recent study at the Johns Hopkins Center on Aging and Health found a clear link between carotenoids, such as astaxanthin, and improved muscle strength activity levels. That’s because, once again, oxidative stress and inflammation cause muscular problems, fatigue and weakness, while astaxanthin protects you from the oxidative damage that contributes to fatigue and weakness.
Studies suggest astaxanthin may help improve stamina,and inhibit the formation of lactic acid during exercise that can make your muscles ache. It has become popular among athletes for this reason, and you too will find that astaxanthin makes exercise easier and more enjoyable.
3 Tips For Choosing the Best Astaxanthin
If you’re sold on astaxanthin’s amazing benefits, what’s next? Simple. Find the highest-quality astaxanthin, in the optimal serving size, at the right price.
Now, it’s true that astaxanthin is found in salmon and shellfish, but that’s not the best way to go. You’d have to eat wild salmon every day to get enough, and then you’d be overexposed to ocean pollutants like mercury, which is the last thing you want. Supplementation is your best choice, and even that route has red flags to avoid.
Here are my 3 tips for choosing the best astaxanthin supplement:
- Make sure the bottle says “natural astaxanthin” and that it is derived from the marine algae species H. Pluvialis. Avoid synthetic astaxanthin, which is far less potent.
- You need to take 4 milligrams per day. Anything less and you won’t be getting clinically beneficial amounts.
- Don’t pay more than $25 for a one-month supply. Many companies are taking advantage of the hype and charging more than double this.
The Best Source for Best Results
The astaxanthin supplement that I take myself and personally recommend is called PurZanthin™. It’s simply the best and most affordable astaxanthin on the market.
Now I must disclose that in addition to being Editor-in-Chief of the Live in the Now natural health newsletter, I am also CEO of Stop Aging Now, a company that has been making premium grade supplements for over 20 years.
I invite you to do your own research to make sure I’m not just shamelessly promoting my own product, but here’s why I think you’ll discover that PurZanthin is absolutely your best option:
- PurZanthin is made from Zanthin®, a superior source of natural, purified astaxanthin derived from the H. Pluvialis species of microalgae. In fact, this special patented astaxanthin was the first to earn regulatory approval in both Europe and the United States, in no small part because of its pioneering extraction and stabilization processes. PurZanthin assures you unparalleled quality and purity — and you’ll see and feel the difference.
- PurZanthin is highly concentrated so just one small easy-to-swallow softgel per day contains the recommended clinical dose of 4 mg. According to Dr. Rudi E. Moerck, one of the world’s leading astaxanthin experts, “A 4 mg dose of astaxanthin per day is an excellent intake of this potent antioxidant…this dose will maintain an effective level of astaxanthin in the body, especially in membranes of the joints, eyes, brain and muscle [and] you will always have good levels of this king of carotenoids.”
- Like all Stop Aging Now products, PurZanthin is made in a FDA-inspected facility to meet stringent standards for quality, purity and potency. It’s processed in a state-of-the-art, allergen-free facility that is Organic Certified, in accordance with the most stringent quality standards. Plus, it comes with an “any reason” 365-day guarantee.
And, for a limited time, Live in the Now readers can get PurZanthin for as low as $12.49 per bottle with free shipping, which is a great deal.
1. Fry, A. Astaxanthin Clinical Trial for Delayed Onset Muscular Soreness. Human Performance Laboratories, The University of Memphis, Report 1, August 16, 2001.
2. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 21(5):Oct, 2002.
3. Nutr Metabo. Retrieved from http://www.livestrong.com/article/466354-astaxanthin-inflammation/
4. Plant Foods For Human Nutrition. 2011 Nov; 66(4): 363-9.
5. Atherosclerosis 2010; 209(2): 520-23.
6. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2008 September; 43(2): 69?74.
7. Br J Nutr. 2011 Jun;105:11, 1563-71.
8. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2011 Oct 17:0. doi: 10.5301/ejo.5000069. [Epub ahead of print.]
9. Brain Res. 13 February 2009, Pages 18-27.
10. Cartenoid Science. April 2002, Vol. 5
11. Am J Cardio. 22 May 2008;101:10, S58-S68.
12. J Agric Food Chem. 2009 Oct 14;57(19):8793-7. doi: 10.1021/jf9019745.
13. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2010 Mar 5;7:18. doi: 10.1186/1743-7075-7-18.
14. J Nutr Health Aging. 2009, 13; 3: 170-175.
15. Malmsten C. 1998, Dietary supplementation with astaxanthin rich algal meal improves muscle endurance – double blind study on male students. Unpublished.
16. J Clin Ther Med. 18(9):73-88.
Joshua Corn -Editor-in-Chief
Josh is a health freedom advocate and veteran of the natural health industry. He has been actively involved in the natural health movement for over 15 years, and has been dedicated to the promotion of health, vitality, longevity and natural living throughout his career. Josh has successfully overcome several personal health challenges through natural means, and believes that sharing information can empower people to take control of their health so they can solve their own problems and live life to its fullest potential. Josh is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of Live in the Now. Additionally he serves as CEO of Stop Aging Now, a company that has been formulating premium dietary supplements since 1995. Josh is currently working on his first book about natural health, and is gearing up to launch the Live in the Now radio show. In addition to his work in the natural health field, Josh is an avid outdoorsman, animal lover and enjoys “living in the now” with his wife and two sons.