Why Many Popular Calcium Supplements Can Be Dangerous for Your Heart and Brain
Many people take calcium supplements to keep their bones strong. But bone strength is not just a matter of “optimal health” — it can be a matter of life or death. And unfortunately, most calcium supplements simply don’t work — and many are actually dangerous.
The truth is, the older you get, the higher your risk of breaking a bone. And often, it’s not just about pain and inconvenience. For example, research has shown that breaking a hip (a common injury among the elderly) more than doubles your risk of death in the following year.
However, bone health is not just a concern for the elderly. In reality, for both men and women, bone mass loss begins around age 35 — unless you take proactive measures to prevent it. Yet unfortunately, many of us wait until our bones have already suffered years of serious damage before we take action.
My advice to you no matter your age: Start protecting your bones today. The earlier you start, the better. But exciting new research is showing that regardless of your age, there are some powerful bone health protectors you can start using now that can make a significant difference in your future.
Please keep reading, because I’ll reveal everything you need to know about calcium supplements, and I’ll also tell you about an amazingly safe, natural and effective way to keep your bones strong and healthy as you age.
The Surprising Truth About Calcium
There’s no denying that calcium plays an important role in bone health. Experts agree that adequate calcium throughout life, as part of a well-balanced diet, may reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
But let me make one thing clear: Taking a calcium supplement is not the magic bullet for bone health that many Americans have been led to believe it is. And sadly, most people are getting next to no benefit from the calcium they are taking.
The fact is, taking the calcium supplements you typically find in drugstores may be of very little benefit to your bones. And worse than that, alarming new research is linking calcium supplementation to increased heart attack risk.
Experts now warn that unless you’re taking the right kind of calcium with all of the co-factors your body needs to actually use the calcium you’re ingesting, it can end up accumulating in your blood vessels, arteries, brain tissue, joints and other places where it can be deadly.
Is “The Calcium Lie” the Real Cause of Aging?
This may come as shocking news, because most of us have heard since we were children that we need calcium to build strong bones. But the fact is, the more we consume calcium that our bodies can’t immediately utilize, the more calcified the tissues throughout our body become, and the more health problems we start to experience.
Consider this: A common factor in all degenerative diseases of aging is calcification, or hardening, of soft tissue. You’ve probably seen a calcified pipe or faucet, but what does calcification in the body look like? It’s the stiffening of joints, plaque on the teeth, hardening of arteries, gallstones, kidney stones, impaired brain function and more.
On top of all this, most forms of supplemental calcium (including generic calcium carbonate, citrate, gluconate and coral calcium) are derived from sediment and heavily contaminated with lead and other toxins.
So does this mean you should never take a calcium supplement? The answer to this is a firm NO. Rather, you need to make sure you’re taking the right calcium supplement.
How to Save Your Bones Without Wrecking Your Health
When people think about the building blocks of bones, calcium usually comes to mind first. But it’s not that simple.
In his book, The Calcium Lie: What Your Doctor Doesn’t Know Could Kill You, Dr. Robert Thompson, MD explains that your bones are comprised of at least a dozen minerals, and if you focus exclusively on calcium supplementation, you could end up wasting money, and in some cases, actually making your health worse.
With all the misinformation about calcium out there, you’ve got to know what to look for in a good calcium supplement. Most importantly, be wary of any supplement that contains ONLY calcium (a major red flag), as calcium works best when combined with synergistic cofactors.
The Surprising Link Between Your Bones and Your Brain
In a recent study, researchers recorded bone mass measurements for 987 people with an average age of 76 years and followed them for up to 13 years.They found that women with the lowest bone mass measurements were more than twice as likely to develop cognitive trouble as women with stronger bones.
Here are 6 things to look for in a calcium supplement:
1. A Source of Natural, Whole Food Calcium: I recommend eggshell calcium to all of my readers, because it’s the safest, most natural and most effective form. Eggshell calcium contains special transporter proteins that move calcium into the bone matrix where it’s needed, as well as essential trace minerals for increased bone building support. And it’s nearly 20% more absorbable than other types of calcium.[7,8] Multiple clinical trials have shown that eggshell calcium can effectively increase bone mineral density within 4-8 months.[9,10,11]
2. Vitamins D3 and K2: You need proper amounts of both vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 to activate osteocalcin, which moves calcium out of your bloodstream and into the bone matrix where you want it, instead of becoming lodged in soft tissue. Be sure that you’re taking the D3 form of vitamin D and the menaquinone-7 (MK-7) K2 form of vitamin K.
3. Magnesium, Zinc, Copper and Boron: These are the most important mineral co-factors to be taking with calcium for healthy bone building and remodeling. It’s especially important to make sure that you’re taking magnesium in the ideal 2:1 dosage ratio. (Take twice the amount of calcium as magnesium.)
4. Calcium Fructoborate: If possible, look for a supplement that contains calcium fructoborate, a special form of boron that has been shown in research to combat inflammation and support healthy bone mineral density.[12,13]
5. Silica: Ideally, your bone health regimen should include a source of silica such as horsetail extract. Silica supports collagen formation, which is essential to bone flexibility and resilience.
6. Herbal Inflammation Fighters: Last but not least, try to include some herbs to combat inflammation, such as turmeric and ginger. Keeping inflammation under control is crucial to healthy bones and joints.
The Dangers of Big Pharma’s Bone Drugs
If you think osteoporosis drugs like Fosamax or Boniva are a good way to protect your bones, think again! These drugs work by destroying bone cells called osteoclasts, which break down bone as part of the natural bone remodeling process. Killing off these cells will increase bone density but not bone strength or resilience. As a result, your bones lose their flexibility and their natural ability to rebuild. You end up with thicker bones with less resilience, which actually increases your risk for fractures!
The Reason It’s Hard to Find a Good Calcium Supplement
The problem with most calcium supplements is that they are based on outdated research. They were formulated at a time when scientists believed that taking copious amounts of calcium — and calcium alone — was the key to bone health. Also, back then, no one thought twice about how well the body could absorb and utilize the calcium, or whether or not it was contaminated with heavy metals and or other toxins. We know now that it’s not about how much calcium, but the right form of calcium combined with the right mix of synergistic cofactors that enable the body to properly utilize it to build strong bones.
The All-in-One Bone Health Solution I Personally Recommend
Maintaining strong, healthy bones is fundamental to overall long-term health, and too many people are either confused about how to do it, or are altogether misinformed. That’s why I decided to develop a safe, affordable, convenient and effective all-in-one bone health supplement called BoneTrex®, working with the Scientific Advisory Board at my nutritional supplement company, Stop Aging Now, which has been making premium grade supplements for over 20 years.
For a limited time, Live in the Now readers can get BoneTrex for as low as $14.95 a bottle — with free shipping. I encourage you to take advantage of this great deal. Click here to take advantage of this special offer.
I invite you to do your own research to make sure I’m not just shamelessly promoting my own product, but here’s why I think you’ll find no other product like BoneTrex:
- BoneTrex features 800 mg of ESC® eggshell calcium from a 100% natural, whole food source that has been shown in clinical research to be 20% more absorbable than other forms of calcium.
- BoneTrex contains vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 as menaquinone-7 (MK-7), the most effective forms of these important bone-building nutrients.
- BoneTrex includes calcium and magnesium at the ideal 2:1 ratio, as well as the optimal ratios of the minerals copper, zinc and boron.
- BoneTrex provides boron as FruiteX-B® calcium fructoborate, which has been shown to reduce inflammatory markers that cause bone loss and increase bone density within three months.
- BoneTrex boosts healthy collagen formation with silica from horsetail extract and supports a healthy inflammatory response throughout the body with extracts of turmeric and ginger.
- Like all Stop Aging Now products, BoneTrex is made in an FDA inspected facility to meet or exceed stringent USP standards for quality, purity and potency.
- BoneTrex ships to you for free and comes with an amazing 365-day “any reason” guarantee. This way you risk nothing!
For a limited time, Live in the Now readers can get BoneTrex for as low as $14.95 a bottle — with free shipping. I encourage you to take advantage of this great deal.
1. Arch Intern Med. 2011;171(20):1831-1837.
2. Toxicol Sci. 2000;55(1):171-188.
3. FDA. Code of Federal Regulations. 21CFR101.72. 2002;2:124-6.
4. Bolland, Mark J., et al. “Effect of calcium supplements on risk of myocardial infarction and cardiovascular events: meta-analysis.” BMJ. 2010;341.
5. JAMA. 2000;284(11):1425-1429.
6. Thompson, Robert. The Calcium Lie: What Your Doctor Doesn’t Know Could Kill You. InTruth Press, 2008. Print.
7. J Sci Food Agri. 1999;79(12):1596-1600.
8. J Agric Food Chem. 2003;51(20):6056-6061.
9. Int J Clin Pharmacol Res. 2003;23:83-92.
10. Bratisl Lek Listy. 1999;100:651-656.
11. Br J Nutr. 2002;87:267-275.
12. Am J Biomed Sci. 2012; doi: 10.5099/aj120200111
13. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2011; doi: 10.1007/s12011-011-8972-6
14. Arch Neurol. 2005;62(1):107-111.
15. JAMA. 2011;305(8):783-789.
Joshua Corn -Editor-in-Chief
Josh is a health freedom advocate and veteran of the natural health industry. He has been actively involved in the natural health movement for over 15 years, and has been dedicated to the promotion of health, vitality, longevity and natural living throughout his career. Josh has successfully overcome several personal health challenges through natural means, and believes that sharing information can empower people to take control of their health so they can solve their own problems and live life to its fullest potential. Josh is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of Live in the Now. Additionally he serves as CEO of Stop Aging Now, a company that has been formulating premium dietary supplements since 1995. Josh is currently working on his first book about natural health, and is gearing up to launch the Live in the Now radio show. In addition to his work in the natural health field, Josh is an avid outdoorsman, animal lover and enjoys “living in the now” with his wife and two sons.