img class=” wp-image-18917 alignright” style=”margin: 10px;” title=”Make things happen, concept words” src=”http://www.liveinthenow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/make-things-happen-600×397.jpg” alt=”Make things happen” width=”360″ height=”238″ />Did you ever hear of basketball players improving their game by envisioning themselves scoring the winning basket, or a golfer seeing himself making a hole in one? That’s the power of positive thinking in action. This effective visualization technique can actually retrain the subconscious mind and impact what happens in real life.
An affirmation statement is very similar. It is a personal statement that can be used to boost self-esteem, reduce stress, and manifest the life our your dreams by retraining your subconscious mind. Raising the vibration of the energy you send into the universe positively impacts the experiences you draw to you. This is not magical thinking; instead, it is using the mind-blowing power of your intention expressed verbally to create what you want in your life rather than using language to express your fears. Whatever we put our attention on grows. Saying affirmations focuses our attention on the positive experiences we are creating and speaking them into existence.
In my blueprint for daily living, which is the practical application of psychological theories I use to help my clients, I ask them to create affirmations. This is usually met with a blank stare and some kind of comment like, “so you want me to tell myself I’m handsome and then I’ll be good to go?” Well, not exactly…
Let’s go through the affirmation process.
1. Creating a Well-Formed Belief Statement:
– Write in the first person (use “I”).
– Use present tense.
– Use only positive statements (express what will be true, not what won’t).
e.g. Instead of saying “I am no longer exhausted daily” which affirms the negative, turn it around and say, “I am full of energy!”
– Keep it short.
– Make it emotionally meaningful to you. It should “feel” right.
I am pain free.
I attract the man (or woman) of my dreams.
I am comfortable with a set schedule and a consistent income.
I am thrilled to be making over $____k a year.
I am happy to be fit and healthy.
It is easy to be calm and relaxed.
The weight just melts off my body.
I have the right and perfect job for me.
I also encourage clients to use more generalized affirmation statements in their everyday lives.
Everything flows with ease and grace.
I always have more than enough time.
Only good lies before me.
I am divinely protected and guided.
I am abundant.
All my needs are met with ease.
I am loved.
I am worthy.
I am grateful for all of my blessings.
I am a money magnet. (My personal fave!)
2. How To Use Your New Affirmation Statement:
– Repeat the phrases throughout the day.
– Make it a habit and try to say them at the same time every day (e.g. while you are showering, on your commute, while meditating, while working out, while lying in bed).
– Feel the feelings of these affirmations being factual. Feel what the new, improved you looks and feels like.
– Smile when you say them! Know that positive self-talk brings positive results.
3. When the Old Habits Come Creeping Back:
– When you start to feel yourself thinking negative thoughts during the day, counteract them by repeating your positive affirmation.
– Be mindful of what language you use throughout your day. Saying and feeling the positive affirmations is the first step, but using this positive language in the rest of your life is the next step. Making this change in language will naturally draw the experience you seek into your life.
Let me know how this resonates with you and if you are able to take the affirmation challenge and actually DO IT! Share your creative affirmations with our Live in the Now community, and let me know what else changed when your language, thoughts, and feelings changed!
Terri Cole, founder and CEO of Live Fearless and Free, is a licensed psychotherapist, transformation coach, and an expert at turning fear into freedom. For almost two decades, Terri has empowered companies, celebrities, professional athletes, and individuals to Live Fearless and Free through television, radio, and other media appearances, speaking engagements, workshops, and a thriving private practice. Her blueprint for success combines harnessing the power of intention, practical psychology, and thought innovation to create sustainable change. Recently, Terri released her first CD “Meditation Transformation”. She is now in the process of writing her first solo book “Flip Over and Float ~Transform Fear into Freedom in 6 Simple Steps for Sustainable Change” and co-hosting Live Your Truth Love Your Life, an online group coaching program, with yoga psychotherapist Ashley Turner. For more information about Terri and to join her mission please go to: www.terricole.com