Recipe: Light and Fresh Autumn Pear Salad
Pears, like their rosy cousins apples, offer an array of nutrients that benefit eyes, heart and colon. For soft, juicy pears choose Bartletts. For crisp varieties, try Bosc, Anjou or Asian.
3 ripe, chilled pears
3 T. walnuts, lightly toasted
3 T. Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
6 lettuce leaves (Boston or Bibb)
3 T. white balsamic vinegar or raspberry vinegar
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
• Wash lettuce leaves, pat dry and arrange on plates.
• Toast the walnuts in an iron skillet or non-stick pan. Stir constantly over medium heat until lightly browned and fragrant. Walnuts burn easily!
• Using a fork, crumble the cheese into a small bowl.
• Wash pears, cut into halves, scoop out seeds and arrange on plates.
• In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and vinegar.
• Drizzle 1 T. of vinaigrette over each pear, sprinkle each with ½ T. walnuts and cheese and serve immediately.
Nutritional Information per Serving: 158 calories, 2 g protein, 15 g carbohydrates, 10.7 g fat (2.1 g saturated) , 5 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 70 mg sodium.