Recipe: Light and Fresh Autumn Pear Salad
3 ripe, chilled pears
3 T. walnuts, lightly toasted
3 T. Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
6 lettuce leaves (Boston or Bibb)
3 T. white balsamic vinegar or raspberry vinegar
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
• Wash lettuce leaves, pat dry and arrange on plates.
• Toast the walnuts in an iron skillet or non-stick pan. Stir constantly over medium heat until lightly browned and fragrant. Walnuts burn easily!
• Using a fork, crumble the cheese into a small bowl.
• Wash pears, cut into halves, scoop out seeds and arrange on plates.
• In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and vinegar.
• Drizzle 1 T. of vinaigrette over each pear, sprinkle each with ½ T. walnuts and cheese and serve immediately.
Nutritional Information per Serving: 158 calories, 2 g protein, 15 g carbohydrates, 10.7 g fat (2.1 g saturated) , 5 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 70 mg sodium.