Recipe: Heart Healthy Homemade Cauliflower and Arugula Pesto Pizza
As we recently shared in our article, Can This Pizza Really Help Ward Off Cancer?, researchers in Italy found that consuming a Mediterranean-style pizza may actually help decrease both cancer and heart disease risk.
So today we’re dishing up a simple recipe to create your own nutrition-packed pizza at home using ingredients from the Mediterranean diet.
Fresh Cauliflower and Arugula Pesto Pizza Recipe
This cauliflower and arugula pesto pizza recipe is courtesy of the olive oil companyColavita. It may look different because of the blue cauliflower, but don’t be alarmed! It’s still a delicious and flavorful pizza.Put it on a whole wheat or whole grain pizza crust and enjoy!
Prep: 40 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes, Yields: 1 Pizza
For The Cauliflower:
- 1 head of cauliflower (use any color, we used purple!)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For The Pesto:
- 1 package fresh arugula
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
For The Pizza:
- 1 head roasted cauliflower
- 1 cup pesto
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Pinch of salt
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Heat your oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the cauliflower on it.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, mustard, and half the parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Coat the cauliflower with the mustard mixture, rubbing it in evenly. Sprinkle more parmesan cheese over the top.
- Roast in the oven for 1 hour, until you can easily pierce the cauliflower with a knife.
- Allow the cauliflower to cool and then separate it into small florets. Place the florets in a bowl (try not to eat them!) and reserve them for your pizza.
- Next, make the pesto.
- Combine all the pesto ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. If the mixture seems dry, you can add more olive oil.
- Remove the pesto to a bowl. You can cover and refrigerate the pesto for up to a week.
- Heat your oven to 500F. If youre using a pizza stone, allow the stone to heat up in the oven for 30 minutes before baking on it.
- Stretch out your dough onto a pizza peel dusted with flour. If you dont have a peel and stone, use a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Oil the parchment with a little olive oil so your pizza doesnt stick.
- Spread a layer of pesto on top of the stretched out dough.
- Place the roasted cauliflower on top of the pesto, spreading it evenly on the surface of the dough.
- Add dollops of ricotta cheese in between the cauliflower.
- Sprinkle with the salt and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Slide your pizza into the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.
Mary West is a natural health enthusiast, as she believes this area can profoundly enhance wellness. She is the creator of a natural healing website where she focuses on solutions to health problems that work without side effects. You can visit her site and learn more at http://www.alternativemedicinetruth.com. Ms. West is also the author of Fight Cancer Through Powerful Natural Strategies.