2 Life-Changing Supernutrients You Should Be Taking
If you’ve been reading this newsletter for any period of time, you probably know how I feel about nutritional supplements. At this point, between my work promoting health freedom on Live in the Now and formulating supplements for my company, Stop Aging Now, my life pretty much revolves around them!
Now, not everyone will agree with me, but I feel very strongly that eating superfoods and taking dietary supplements are vital components of any strategy for optimal health, peak performance and longevity. And here’s why: Food just ain’t what it used to be, folks! Eating whole, toxin-free food is important — very important in fact, but unfortunately, so much nutrition has been farmed and processed out of our food, that eating for optimal health involves more than just “healthy eating” nowadays. I know I’d be preaching to the choir if I went on about why eating locally grown, organic and unprocessed food is important. What I’m talking about is taking it to the next level — optimizing your nutritional intake and getting serious about your health!
It’s exciting to see how much interest in natural health, nutrition and supplements has grown in just the last few years. As much as there is to be concerned about as far as the average American’s diet goes, it’s encouraging that a growing number of Americans are beginning to see the value in investing in real foods and supplements. Certainly, the growing popularity of “superfoods” — nutrient-dense foods that provide concentrated levels of key vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, amino acids and essential fats that are lacking in the standard American diet — is a good sign. But just as the growing popularity of organic foods has “watered down” the organics industry, I’m afraid that the growing popularity of these important foods will dilute the potency of the superfoods that are widely available.
That’s why I’m excited that the new superfood supplement that I’ve been working on with my product development team at Stop Aging Now is finally finished and ready for sale after two years of hard work!
Superfood SPX™ is a one-of-a-kind formula that combines the detoxifying and immune-fortifying micronutrient benefits of organic spirulina with the powerful anti-aging antioxidant benefits of astaxanthin. We worked hard to ensure the integrity and potency of the ingredients going into this product, and our work paid off. There’s nothing out there quite like Superfood SPX.
Why am I so excited about Superfood SPX? Well, basically because it combines what I consider to be one of the most important superfoods you should be eating with one of the most effective antioxidants you should be taking into a single supplement!
In my opinion, the primary criteria that make a superfood or supplement worth taking are:
1) It provides an essential, health-supporting nutrient that is not safely or easily obtained from food sources.
2) It supports many aspects of health and has a wide range of proven benefits.
3) It has no known side effects or associated risks.
Spirulina and astaxanthin both fulfill all of these criteria.
What Makes Spirulina a Top Superfood?
Spirulina is a type of freshwater blue-green algae that, like other sea vegetables you may be familiar with, such as kelp, nori and chlorella, is incredibly rich in vitamins, minerals, amino acids and other micronutrients. What makes spirulina unique is that it is highly digestible and therefore, offers incredible nutrient bioavailability.
Spirulina is approximately 70% protein by weight and offers a complete profile of highly absorbable essential amino acids, making it an extremely high-quality source of protein. Spirulina is actually so rich in protein and important micronutrients that the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization has identified it as a potential tool in the fight against widespread malnutrition throughout the world. It’s also been named as the #1 superfood by the AARP.
Here’s a rundown of the nutrients that qualify spirulina as a top superfood:
- Chlorophyll, which supports cellular detoxification
- Rare antioxidant phytopigments including phycocyanin, beta-carotene, zeaxanthin and other important carotenoids
- Essential fatty acids, including hard-to-get gamma linoleic acid (GLA), an essential for heart and joint health
- Vitamin B12 and other B vitamins for brain and heart health support
- Trace minerals, including magnesium, selenium, zinc, calcium and others
- Superoxide dismutase (SOD), an important antioxidant enzyme and other sulpholipids
Phyocyanin, the unique antioxidant pigment that gives spirulina its natural blue-green hue, has been generating a lot of interest lately among scientists. Spirulina is the only known natural source of phycocyanin, which makes up about 16% of spirulina’s total weight.
Research has shown that phycocyanin has a wide range of health benefits, including antioxidant protection for cells in the heart, brain and throughout the body and powerful immune support. Phycocyanin supports the immune system by promoting production of white blood cells and increases oxygenation throughout the body by supporting the creation of red blood cells. Additionally, phycocyanin has been shown to play a major role in stem cell regeneration, particularly in bone marrow and blood cells.
Many people avoid spirulina because they dislike the smell and taste of algae. (Though in my experience, it’s pretty palatable when you take the powder form and mix it into a smoothie in moderate amounts.) With Superfood SPX, we’ve found a way to solve this problem, while at the same time boosting its phycocyanin content! Each tablet is coated with an all natural blue coating made from phycocyanin and vanilla. Inside you’ll find pure, organic spirulina and astaxanthin — and no fillers! Simply put, it smells and tastes great!
Unlike many powdered spirulina supplements on the market, the spirulina we’re using in Superfood SPX is certified organic and is guaranteed to be non-GMO, non-irradiated, and free of contaminants like pesticides, heavy metals, yeast and mold. This organic spirulina is produced by a world-class manufacturer of elite plant-based nutritional ingredients that has been producing spirulina for over 30 years using only natural herbal fertilizers and pure, artesian spring water.
Spirulina is pretty perfect, as far as superfoods go, but we thought we could make it even better by combining it with a certain antioxidant carotenoid known as astaxanthin. This red plant pigment is found exclusively in a type of microalgae known as H. Pluvialis, which only certain pink-hued creatures like salmon and flamingos consume. The benefits of astaxanthin have just recently been discovered, due to its rare occurrence in nature.
Astaxanthin: Dr. Oz’s “#1 Supplement You’ve Never Heard of That You Should be Taking”
Ok, so I have my issues with Dr. Oz and some of the advice he dispenses, but overall, I think he’s doing Americans a great service by encouraging us to take a proactive approach to managing our health. Dr. Oz is a strong proponent of astaxanthin, the carotenoid antioxidant found in red algae that gives salmon and flamingos their rosy hues. Astaxanthin was thrust into the supplement spotlight when it was featured as “the #1 supplement you’ve never heard of that you should be taking” in a segment on the Dr. Oz Show.
Astaxanthin is more than deserving of the hype surrounding it for a number of reasons. Astaxanthin was shown to be up to 6,000 times stronger than vitamin C, 500 times more powerful than vitamin E, 10 times more potent than beta-carotene (vitamin A), and 5 times more potent than lutein.[2,3] Scientists have discovered that astaxanthin’s unique chemical structure enables it to cross the blood-brain and blood-eye barriers with remarkable effectiveness, aiding in the prevention of oxidative damage to the eyes, brain and nervous system.[4,5] Astaxanthin is also a powerful immune supporter.
Clinical studies have demonstrated that taking supplemental astaxanthin is an effective way to protect cells throughout the body against the ravages of free radicals, which are known to accelerate aging. Astaxanthin has been shown to improve skin tone and elasticity, reducing the visible signs of aging, such as dryness, wrinkles and age spots. It may also provide protection for the skin and eyes from UV-induced sun damage.
Research has also shown that astaxanthin decreases pro-inflammatory markers throughout the body, supporting joint and muscle health and enabling faster recovery after exercise. Many athletes use astaxanthin to increase strength and stamina and to improve endurance.
As powerful as astaxanthin is, we actually found a source of astaxanthin to use in Superfood SPX that provides more than 3 times the antioxidant power of the synthetic astaxanthin that you’ll often find in other supplements.
As you can see in the table below, our premium-grade astaxanthin complex far surpasses other antioxidants, including synthetic astaxanthin, in ORAC capacity (a measure of free radical scavenging activity):
Take Your Health to the Next Level with Superfood SPX
I may be biased, but I am pretty confident that Superfood SPX is a supplement you want to be taking. I’ve been taking it for about six months now and have noticed remarkable benefits in my energy levels, immunity, exercise recovery time and overall wellbeing.
Here’s why I’m confident that you’ll find no other product like Superfood SPX on the market:
- Superfood SPX is made with the purest, highest quality organic spirulina available anywhere and is guaranteed to have maximum potency.
- Superfood SPX contains a premium-grade astaxanthin complex for extra antioxidant protection.
- Superfood SPX is coated with a natural blend of vanilla and phycocyanin, so it smells and tastes great! The pills are also very small, so they’re easy to swallow!
- Superfood SPX is made in the USA in an FDA-inspected facility to meet stringent standards for quality, purity and potency.
- Superfood SPX costs as low as $16.50 per bottle (which lasts a full month). This is up to 4 times less than similar, high quality brands. Plus it ships to you for free, is tax-free and comes with an “any reason” 365-day guarantee. That’s right — take it for up to one year, and get a full refund if you don’t like it.
I also personally inspect the manufacturing facility where Superfood SPX is made on a monthly basis to ensure that my rigorous quality standards are being met, so I feel comfortable saying that I stand by this product 100%!
To learn more about Superfood SPX and get special introductory pricing and free shipping, click on the link below:
1. Torres-Duran PV, Ferreira-Hermosillo A, Juarez-Oropeza MA. Lipids Health Dis. 2007 Nov 26;6:3.
2. Naguib YM. Antioxidant activities of astaxanthin and related carotenoids. J Agric Food Chem. 2000 Apr;48(4):1150-4.
3. Yuan J.P. et al. Potential health-promoting effects of astaxanthin: a high-value carotenoid mostly from microalgae. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011 Jan;55(1):150?65.
4. Nakagawa K et al. Antioxidant effect of astaxanthin on phospholipid peroxidation in human erythrocytes. Br J Nutr. 2011 Jun;105:11, 1563-71.
5. Piermarocchi S. Carotenoids in Age-related Maculopathy Italian Study (CARMIS): two-year results of a randomized study. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2011 Oct 17:0. doi: 10.5301/ejo.5000069.
6. Park JS, et al. Astaxanthin decreased oxidative stress and inflammation and enhanced immune response in humans. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2010 Mar 5;7:18.
7. Yamashita E. The effects of a dietary supplement containing Astaxanthin on skin condition. Carotenoid Science. 2006; 10:91-95.
8. Arakane, Y. Superior skin protection via Astaxanthin. Cartenoid Science. April 2002, Vol. 5
9. Astaxanthin limits exercise-induced skeletal and cardiac muscle damage in mice. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2003.
Joshua Corn – Editor-in-Chief
Josh is a health freedom advocate and veteran of the natural health industry. He has been actively involved in the natural health movement for over 15 years, and has been dedicated to the promotion of health, vitality, longevity and natural living throughout his career. Josh has successfully overcome several personal health challenges through natural means, and believes that sharing information can empower people to take control of their health so they can solve their own problems and live life to its fullest potential. Josh is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of Live in the Now. Additionally he serves as CEO of Stop Aging Now, a company that has been formulating premium dietary supplements since 1995. Josh is currently working on his first book about natural health, and is gearing up to launch the Live in the Now radio show. In addition to his work in the natural health field, Josh is an avid outdoorsman, animal lover and enjoys “living in the now” with his wife and two sons.
Share the knowledge!
Article updated on: April 25th, 2014