Nutrient Packed Wilted Spinach with Olive Oil and Toasted Walnuts Recipe
Spinach is a great source of eye-protecting lutein and beta-carotene, brain-boosting folic acid and heart-regulating magnesium. The extra virgin olive oil and walnuts in this recipe offer antioxidant vitamin E.
1 lb. (4 c.) fresh baby spinach
2. T extra virgin olive oil
1 large clove garlic, pressed
2 T walnuts, chopped
- Wash spinach and pick out any damaged leaves. Put aside to drain.
- In a dry skillet, over medium heat, toast the chopped walnuts by tossing lightly until they turn golden brown. Be careful, as they burn easily. Remove from skillet when toasted.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the spinach and sauté lightly for 1-2 minutes.
- Add garlic, toss, and cook 1 minute more.
- Add salt to taste. Sprinkle with toasted walnuts and serve.
Nutritional Information per Serving: 92 calories, 1.5 g protein, 1.8 g carbohydrates, 9.2 g fat (1.2 g saturated), 0 g cholesterol, .9 g fiber, 100 mg sodium.
Article updated on: May 14th, 2009