Low-Carb Spaghetti Squash with Ham and Walnuts
Here’s a main dish meal that substitutes spaghetti squash for pasta, which helps cut down on calories and carbs. It’s absolutely delicious! You can prepare the squash in either the oven or the microwave. Try using spaghetti squash in place of pasta in any of your favorite recipes. (If you’re not a ham eater, try smoked turkey in this recipe. It has less fat and calories than ham.)
Makes two servings.
3 c. cooked spaghetti squash (Buy a 2-3 pound squash or larger–freeze what you don’t use)
1 c. cubed ham
2 T. walnuts, chopped
2 T. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. parsley flakes
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Preparing the Squash in the Oven
• Pierce the squash deeply on all sides with a cooking fork.
• Bake on a rimmed cookie sheet at 375 for 45 minutes, rolling once halfway through for even cooking. The squash skin will feel somewhat soft when done.)
• Cool slightly, cut in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff (just like a pumpkin – and you can roast and eat these seeds, too.)
• With a fork, gently scrape out the meat of the squash, which will come out easily, in spaghetti-like strands. You can do this well ahead of time and reheat.
Preparing Squash in the Microwave
• Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds and lay flat side down in a microwaveable dish. Add ¼ c. water and cover with lid.
• Microwave on high for about 7 or 8 minutes, or until the skin feels soft.
• Cool slightly or use oven mitts and scrape out the flesh.
Ham and Walnut Topping
• In a skillet, saute the minced garlic in the olive oil till golden brown.
• Stir in the ham cubes, chopped walnuts and parsley and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes.
• Toss with the squash or pile on top. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!
Nutritional Information per Serving (with ham): 334 calories, 14 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 25 g fat (4.4 g saturated), 50 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 796 mg sodium.
(with smoked turkey): 285 calories, 14 g protein, 17 g carbohydrates, 19 g fat (2.6 g saturated), 24 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 723 mg sodium.