Is Your Cell Phone Giving You Brain Cancer?
The controversy over whether or not cell phones present a health hazard intensified last week when new findings came to light showing a clear connection between hours of cell phone use over time and risk for brain cancer.
According to a new in-depth research analysis published in the Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, long-term exposure to the electromagnetic fields (EMFs) emitted by cell phones can cause DNA damage that may lead to the development of brain tumors.
For many years, the wireless industry and some health experts have contended that cell phones are perfectly harmless. However, in looking at all of the published studies on the matter, researchers found that the largest ever study conducted on the health effects of cell phone use, which found no dangers associated with cell phone was largely flawed. Not surprisingly, the study happened to have been funded by the wireless industry.
However, the data that researchers pooled from other studies led them to conclude that long-term regular cell phone use can approximately double the risk of developing a brain tumor in the more exposed side of the brain (i.e. the side you usually hold your phone on). The researchers said that their findings indicate a need to develop technologies to reduce EMF exposure and for laws requiring cell phone manufacturers to reduce their devices’ levels of EMF output.
It’s hard to know exactly what to do in light of these disturbing findings. If you’re like many people — even the most health-conscious — throwing out your cell phone is completely out of the question, and even trying to reduce your use seems unfeasible. But if you care about your health, it’s critical that you do something to reduce your exposure.
Ann Louise Gittleman, author of the book, Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn’t Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Other Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution, is a firm believer in the dangers of EMFs. In her book, she says, “Invisible pollution surrounds us twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, interrupting our bodies’ natural flow of energy. And for some, that pollution has reached the point of toxicity, causing fatigue, irritability, weakness and even illness.”
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), EMFs have a powerful effect on us because our bodies are regulated by electricity. EMFs can interact with the body’s cardiovascular, digestive and nervous systems and affect them in adverse ways.
In addition to DNA damage and increased risk for cancer, scientific studies have linked EMF exposure to:
- Chronic inflammation, aches and pains
- Sleep disruptions
- Vision problems
- Nerve damage
- Alzheimer’s and other cognitive problems
- Disturbances in heart rhythm
As it turns out, there are many ways that you can reduce you can reduce your exposure to the EMF radiation your cell phone emits. Here are some ideas:
1. Limit the length and number of calls you make. This one is a no-brainer, but was also the study authors’ primary recommendation. You may want to have your cell phone available when traveling or driving in the car, but try to make calls using a landline when at home or at work.
2. Text instead of talking. The researchers also recommended this as a way to keep your phone at a safer distance from your brain.
3. Use an “air tube” headset. Unlike regular wired headsets, these operate sort of like a stethoscope, transmitting the sound to your ears as an actual sound wave, rather than as radiation.
4. Try to only use your cell phone in areas where reception is good. You cell phone must use more power (and therefore, emit more EMF radiation) in areas where reception is weak Do your best to avoid using your phone in areas that have bad reception.
5. Keep your phone as far away from your body as possible. Store it in your bag or purse, rather than in your pocket. Keep it on the other side of the room, or better yet, in another room, when you’re at home or work. Use speaker mode for calls whenever possible.
6. Turn it off! Make it a habit to simply turn your phone off when you’re not actively using it. Especially avoid sleeping with your phone on in the same room.
7. Consider an EMF shield. These are products that are purported to help absorb some of the EMF radiation emitted by electronic devices. The jury is still out on whether or not they are effective, but they may be worth trying. We plan on delving deeper into the available research on these products in a forthcoming article.
Joshua Corn – Editor-in-Chief
Josh is a health freedom advocate and veteran of the natural health industry. He has been actively involved in the natural health movement for over 15 years, and has been dedicated to the promotion of health, vitality, longevity and natural living throughout his career. Josh has successfully overcome several personal health challenges through natural means, and believes that sharing information can empower people to take control of their health so they can solve their own problems and live life to its fullest potential. Josh is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of Live in the Now. Additionally he serves as CEO of Stop Aging Now, a company that has been formulating premium dietary supplements since 1995. Josh is currently working on his first book about natural health, and is gearing up to launch the Live in the Now radio show. In addition to his work in the natural health field, Josh is an avid outdoorsman, animal lover and enjoys “living in the now” with his wife and two sons.