Your Guide to Natural Health
About Us  |  Contact Us  |  Subscribe  |  Advertise

Guess What Kills One Person Every 19 Minutes?

Posted by

Drugs KillWhen it comes “how you’re going to die,” many people fear things like airplane crashes or shark attacks, even though statistics show that deaths from these events are very rare. Conversely, far too many people mistakenly believe that certain common aspects of everyday life are extremely safe — when, in reality, this is often far from the truth.

Once such daily ritual that is far more dangerous than many people believe is taking properly prescribed pharmaceutical drugs. Popping pills on a daily basis to “improve health” has become far too common for many Americans. In fact, according to the CDC, approximately 50% of all Americans take a pharmaceutical drug daily. When you isolate senior citizens, the number shoots up to an astonishing 90%. And perhaps even more troubling, 20% of children take a pharmaceutical drug.

At the same time, statistics are showing that deaths from pharmaceutical drugs are rising at an alarming rate. But don’t take my word for it. Just google the term “pharmaceutical drugs kill” and you’ll see headlines from major news organizations such as Fox and CNN that read:

“Prescription drugs 62,000 times more likely to kill …

“Prescription drugs kill 6200% more Americans …”

“Prescription Drugs Kill 300 Percent More Americans than Illegal Drugs…”

“Prescription drugs are now killing more people than traffic accidents…”

“Prescription Drug Deaths Skyrocket…”

“Prescription drugs kill one person every 19 minutes…”

“Prescription Drugs Now Kill More People Than Heroin And Cocaine Combined…”

Sadly, most people don’t know that properly prescribed prescription drugs kill over 100,000 Americans each year. (This excludes prescription drug abuse, which causes this number to skyrocket even higher.) This is more than or equal to the number of people who die from accidents, Alzheimer’s, influenza and diabetes!

One reason that most people are in the dark about the dangers of pharmaceutical drugs is due to a fundamental misunderstanding of how these drugs get tested and approved. Too many people believe that the FDA has some kind of rigorous testing and evaluation system. Sadly, this is far from the truth.

The current system puts almost the entire burden to test the safety of a new pharmaceutical drug on the developer of that drug. And since developing a new drug costs billions of dollars, you can imagine the immense pressure on the entire organization to make sure that drug gets to market. Making things worse are the fees that the pharmaceutical companies pay the FDA, which amount to about 20% of its total budget. Now, I’m no expert on organizational structure, but it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that this system is inherently flawed and corrupt.

What’s the final product of this cozy relationship between Big Pharma and the FDA? It’s simple – dangerous drugs being put on the market, leaving us hapless consumers as real world guinea pigs. Simply put, the big drug companies profit and we die.

One of the most infamous examples of this is what happened with the painkiller Vioxx. It’s widely known that Merck engaged in several illegal and dubious strategies to influence the research backing the safety of Vioxx. Sadly, this easily tricked the FDA who approved the drug, only to remove it from the shelves after it killed approximately 60,000 people – more than the number of brave soldiers who died in Vietnam. Will we be building a memorial for the Vioxx victims?

The latest example of the flaws in the process for getting pharmaceutical drugs approved by the FDA is the diabetes drug Avandia.  A Senate Finance Committee investigation showed that GlaxoSmithKline intentionally hid reliable scientific data clearly showing that Avandia significantly increases the risk of heart attack. Naturally this came to light after the FDA approved the drug, and it didn’t take long before it was linked to 83,000 heart attacks and deaths, according to the FDA’s own scientists.

If you think Vioxx and Avandia are flukes, think again. There are dozens, and perhaps hundreds, of drugs killing people every day, because their makers provided flawed, biased and corrupt data to the FDA. And since the FDA is unequipped, incapable or unwilling to change the system, more and more people are going to die.

If you believe your doctor provides the final line of defense for you, think again. Despite good intentions, guess who trained your doctor on all of the “benefits” of the drug they are prescribing to you? You guessed it – the company that stands to make billions of dollars from its sale. Your doctor got duped (and probably got a free golf trip in Hawaii). Meanwhile, you got a potentially harmful drug that may put your health in jeopardy.

The bottom line – don’t trust that pharmaceutical drugs are safe. Big Pharma has a long, sad track record of lies, corruption and deceit, all in the name of profits. And the FDA’s system to approve drugs is as flawed as perhaps any function of government.

My advice: If your doctor prescribes you a drug, take your health into your own hands! Consider lifestyle changes, look for natural alternatives, get second opinions and do your own research. Only take the drug after you are 100% certain it is safe and in your best interests. After all – your life may depend on it!

Recommended for you:

Josh Corn Joshua Corn - Editor-in-Chief
Josh is a health freedom advocate and veteran of the natural health industry. He has been actively involved in the natural health movement for over 15 years, and has been dedicated to the promotion of health, vitality, longevity and natural living throughout his career. Josh has successfully overcome several personal health challenges through natural means, and believes that sharing information can empower people to take control of their health so they can solve their own problems and live life to its fullest potential. Josh is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of Live in the Now. Additionally he serves as CEO of Stop Aging Now, a company that has been formulating premium dietary supplements since 1995. Josh is currently working on his first book about natural health, and is gearing up to launch the Live in the Now radio show. In addition to his work in the natural health field, Josh is an avid outdoorsman, animal lover and enjoys “living in the now” with his wife and two sons.

Join Our Email List

Share the knowledge!

Article updated on: June 4th, 2013

Tags: , ,

Share Your Thoughts

28 Responses to “ Guess What Kills One Person Every 19 Minutes? ”

1. Marillyn McCulloch on November 29, 2012 at 5:16 PM

After all ‘they’ are doing to us………..what’s next???

2. jim on November 29, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Several years ago my doctor prescribed statins for my high blood pressure. After taking them for about a week I stopped because I didn’t feel ‘right’. I now control it with diet. Recently I saw an article that statins were causing problems with the arteries.

I haven’t trusted a doctor’s recommendation since one killed my wife with chemo treatments, he didn’t even read that the chemo would lower the blood count so he never checked it!

• don on November 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I was on statins for three years and they almost did me in. I still haven’t fully recovered. The muscle and nerve damage is permanent, I’m afraid.

3. Atomicus on November 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Its always better to go the natural route for personal health. Natural Health Supplement instead of these pills that do more harm than good.

4. Tim on November 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Big Pharma has gone as far as publishing fake medical journals (whole journals, not just articles!) with the cooperation of corrupt publishing companies like Elsevier. More details here: http://science.slashdot.org/story/09/05/09/1514235/more-fake-journals-from-elsevier

5. Kevin Patrick Wright on November 30, 2012 at 3:50 AM

I’ve been spreading this message for years since I healed my own cancer holistically. 100% natural/organic diet (including growing an organic garden and becoming a good cook), elimination of all man-made chemicals (personal and household products), created or purchased natural alternatives for home, carefully researched and selected vitamin and herbal supplements, reduction of stress, fresh mountain air, and exercise. Haven’t been to a doctor or pharmacist in decades.

Don’t be “doctored” when you can be HEALED by nature. No fear! Stress kills.

6. Riley Bratton on November 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I agree totally with your statements concerning the side effects of prescribed statins. Through self-conducted, persistent research, I have found your “Red Q10″ to help me gain control of my body’s tendency to produce LDL or “Lousy” cholesterol. Keep informing us of the latest research findings since your solutions counter those approved by the FDA that have so many adverse side effects.

7. Harriet on November 30, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I tried to email this article to a friend but it did not work. Make sure no one is trying to sabotage the free flow of information. Thank you for your efforts to protect the public.

• Emily Dale on January 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Google has attempted to block or censor several websites I visit occasionally. If they keep it up, I will revert back to Hotmail.

8. Bruce on December 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM

You people are living in the stone age.Everybody knows that hospitals and doctors kill people more than any other occupation and don’t get prosecuted.Cancer doctrs kill on a steady basis.They send people home to die so that it doesn’t look bad on their records so they can say we are the healing hospital,BULL.If you want to see where the real healing is comming from google cancer vs cannabis oil.Something so simple and so easy to use and it is not used in hospitals in the US.We have a lot of sick doctors believe me.Doctors kill better than they heal with their drugs.

9. Carol on January 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I love your emails and website. I find them to be very informative. I have a lot of health problems and I’ve been arguing with my doctors for a long time about taking the least dangerous route before medication. I let the know it’s my body and I’m the boss. If I need medication I might go that route until I find something better.

10. EDWARD ADIMEY on January 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

It is time to fire the people running the FDA
    and to put most of them in jail for murded

11. Emily Dale on January 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I am 87, have not taken a flu shot since the mid-1940′s, and for the past 20 years have only taken two pharmaceuticals, both of which caused severe and damaging reactions, one of which was immediate and permanent deafness in my left ear. I DO take vitamin/mineral/herbal supplements and eat only organic foods, other than the rare times I eat out. I developed and manage a community organic garden with raised planters that serves the 500+/- residents of the senior independent living apartment complex in which I live. Most residents have multiple health problems, take pharmaceuticals and have terrible diets. If I can change the lives of only a few of them for the better, I believe I have justified my life here on earth.

12. Jeff on January 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM

People are led to believe supplements are dangerous because they’re not FDA approved.
    When it’s the drugs all along.

13. corinne on January 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM

my life was saved by antibiotics so i don’t share your feelings about them. i lost my arm 6 years ago and live with phantom pain for which i take a group of three pain meds every 3-4 hours. i would be so grateful for any ideas you might have to alleviate my pain without the meds. joshua, i enjoy reading your articles and i am grateful for the info.

• UNCLE BOB on January 19, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Internal inflammation is causing your pain. Consume more omega 3 (fish, e.g. wild caught salmon, herring, $2.50 sardines-not $1.29, and trout). Also, gorge yourself on raw, uncooked peppers. Red especially, but green, yellow, and orange are excellent. Believe it not hot peppers are even better! Do not complain about the cost of “out of season” vegetables. Your health is worth it.

14. Hanna Zagal on January 13, 2013 at 5:34 PM

This information was very informative. I take give different meds daily and some twice daily. I would like to do some more research on my medication. I do worry about the elderly as some of their medications are contraindicated and they are unaware of this. I would like to see something done for them concerning this and I bet this will cut the death rate down quite a bit.

15. Hanna Zagal on January 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM

This information was very informative. I take five different meds daily and some twice daily. I would like to do some more research on my medication. I do worry about the elderly as some of their medications are contraindicated and they are unaware of this. I would like to see something done for them concerning this and I bet this will cut the death rate down quite a bit.

16. june on January 13, 2013 at 7:12 PM

This is sooo true. It happened in my life as well. Not to me however but to my husband of 34 years. He took what the dr ordered no questions ask for several years now he is gone because of the drugs.

17. Heather Skubish on January 13, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I totally agree! No more pharmacy drugs.. Only natural remedies! Please people get it!

18. Faye on January 14, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Joshua, you are exactly right. Wish more people would listen to you. They are so trusting in their doctors, who do not believe in alternatives and/or just plain greedy. I am just recouping from some meds taken prescribed by my doctor. Just reading the inserts is not enough. I feel someone should compensate me for my expense, pain and suffering. Don’t know where to start.

19. Jay Sprueill on January 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM

My wife was a diabetic, and her Drs. filled her so full of pills it turned her into a zombie, and finally killed her at 52 yrs. old. I am a veteran and my primary care dr. is at the V.A. hospital, I have always trusted my Dr., and still do, but I must confess that since Obama was elected I’m not sure anymore, I have refused to take any flu shots,and have received 2 seperate calls from the hospital wanting to know why, that is very curious don’t you think. I am slowly replacing my meds with health supplements, THANK YOU for the info.

20. Inge Hunt on January 18, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Prednisone killed my husband in 2012

21. Cheryl Graeve on April 8, 2013 at 6:29 AM

Great point Lynn, alternative medicines are much safer. Unfortunately, so many people just follow the vaccine charts provided by the schools and get their kids vaccinated every year. We need to take back control of our own health if we want to be healthy. I have fibromyalgia and was on a number of prescriptions. I felt worse with each new one the doctor gave me. I finally found essential oils that are 100% pure and natural. No longer taking 4 prescription meds and I feel better than ever.

22. Hardworker on August 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM

How about generics that have been on the market for many years. I have to take thyroid meds

23. Elliot on September 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM

The biggest problem I see in addition to what you have said is that once a drug has been approved by the FDA, which makes it “safe and effective”, the drug companies are no longer liable for any problems that occur unless something is uncovered that they hid. Otherwise the patient has no recourse and cannot sue for any damages. I recently spoke to a couple of people who worked in the pharmaceutical industry and were very knowledgeable about drug trials. I was told the trials are designed for efficacy not safety. Since the drug companies are off the hook as far as liabilities are concerned that means safety is a non issue.

24. leslie on November 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I assme you are talking presceription drugs kill one person every 19 minutes. There was so much of veerything in your newsletter I wasn’t sure where one started and the other took off.

25. Cassandra Sue on April 4, 2014 at 7:02 AM

Ambien almost killed me. It was s slow and horrific kill. I was going to be put on Hospice for some “autoimmue disease” that Mayo, Cleveland, and other medical centers could not diagnose. Hospice was my last option offered as the horrific pain could not be controlled… I took a leap of faith and went to a healing center in Brazil where I was immediately informed it was the Ambien!!