Easy 3-Ingredient Turmeric Face Mask
When it comes to finding and/or formulating the best DIY skin care masks, I try to think about “recipes” that are simple and help maximize the benefits of each ingredient. After browsing several different options I came up with what I think is the best, easiest most effective DIY turmeric mask — and it only uses three ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen right now.
It’s no secret that honey is incredible for your skin. It’s a humectant, so it helps moisturize the skin and lock in hydration. And the benefits of nut oils for skin are quickly surfacing — in fact many people are even choosing face oils over creams. But using turmeric on your skin is a new phenomenon.
In clinical trials, the spice has been shown to improve collagen deposition, calm psoriasis, and even increase the skin’s firmness and elasticity.
In one study, 28 women applied a topical gel that contained turmeric every day for 4 weeks. Half of the group received a topical gel including turmeric and the other half received a gel that did not include turmeric. At the end of the 4-week study, the skin was evaluated using the speed of propagation of ultrasound shear waves, and self-evaluations were collected from each of the study participants.
Researchers found that the turmeric group experienced a statistically significant improvement in skin firmness and elasticity, compared to that of the placebo group.
Here’s the recipe for my favorite turmeric face mask, plus 3 things NOT to do when trying this at home.
Easy 3-Ingredient DIY Turmeric Face Mask
– 1 tsp. organic turmeric (Purchasing organic is important since many turmeric spices have tested positive for excessive amounts of lead.)
– 1 tsp. organic honey (Go organic for your honey as well. Recent reports indicate that 75% of the world’s honey contains harmful pesticides — you don’t want that on your face!)
– 1 tsp. of a skin nourishing oil such as almond oil or coconut oil. I happened to have PurGevity’s TriFX oil on hand which is a sure-fire way to take this mask up a notch. (More info on this amazing oil can be found here.)
– Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir thoroughly
– Apply to skin using a cotton pad or brush
– Let mask penetrate skin for 10-15 minutes
– Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water
Before you whip up your mask, for best results, make sure you know what NOT to do by reading our article below: