Brain Boosting Yellow Rice With Parsley Recipe
Turmeric gives this rice its golden color and an earthy, peppery taste. Curcumin, a component of turmeric, has been shown to support optimal brain functions. Although this dish is traditionally made with white rice, it is perfectly fine, and even healthier, made with long-grain brown rice.
Makes six ½ c. servings.
1 T. olive oil
2 T. onions, finely minced
1 tsp. garlic, finely minced
1 c. long-grain white or brown rice
1 T. turmeric
1/8 tsp. cayenne
2 c. chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
Diced tomatoes for garnish (optional)
- In a medium-sized pot, sauté the onions and garlic in the oil until translucent.
- Add the dry rice, turmeric and cayenne. Stir until rice is coated with spice.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until all fluid is absorbed, about 17 minutes (or for about 45 minutes if you are using brown rice).
- Add a bit more water if needed to finish cooking.
- Fold in fresh, chopped parsley, garnish with tomatoes and serve.
Nutritional Information per Serving: 150 calories, 4 g protein, 26 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, .7 g fiber, 261 mg sodium.