7 Natural Solutions for Menopause
Want to relieve annoying menopausal symptoms without resorting to hormones? These natural solutions really do work.
For hot flashes:
• Soy isoflavone extracts, providing 35-120 mg of isoflavones daily, can decrease the frequency and severity of hot flashes.
• Black cohosh extract can also modestly reduce hot flashes. Take 250 mg a day of black cohosh extract standardized to 2.5% triterpenoid saponins.
For sleep problems:
• Take 3 mg of melatonin one hour before bedtime, to help promote and sustain sleep.
For vaginal dryness:
• Massage a few drops of pure vitamin E into your vaginal tissues at night. Break open a 400 IU capsule or use vitamin E oil.
• Take 80-90 mg a day of soy isoflavones which, like estrogen, influence bone mineral density and inhibit the breakdown of bone.
• Also take 1,000 to 2,000 IUs a day of vitamin D, and 1,000-1,200 mg of calcium.
• Melatonin also has been shown to stimulate cells called osteoblasts that promote bone growth.
Supplements can ease your passage through menopause and provide long-term relief. Don’t resort to hormone therapy without exploring the natural options available to help you cope. Consider soy isoflavones, black cohosh, melatonin, vitamin D and vitamin E.
QUICK TIP: Despite their proven health benefits, there is some controversy surrounding the phytoestrogens found in soy. Learn More
Share the knowledge!
Article updated on: August 21st, 2008