6 Air Purifying Plants That Remove Impurities, Says NASA
Feeling cooped up indoors all day? Well, one thing’s for sure, breathing all the stuffing indoor air isn’t going to do you any favors. But what if you could improve indoor air quality while adding a little life to the room? Enter, this study from NASA about air purifying plants.
In addition to the dangerous chemicals used to make carpets, couches, paint and dry wall, our homes can be filled with chemicals from everyday household items and products.Things like pressed wood, facial tissue, paper towels, plastic and rubber, to name a few, frequently contain traces of chemicals like benzene, formaldehyde and trichloroethylene.
Can you even imagine your daily routine without your ability to see well? According to the National Eye Institute, nearly 40 million American adults suffer from serious vision impairment and eye problems.
But deteriorating vision is not an inevitable part of aging! There is one simple thing you can do to help maintain sharp, crystal clear vision into your 60s, 70s, 80s and even beyond.
NASA partnered with the Associated Landscape Contractors of America (ALCA) to investigate which household plants best act as natural air purifiers and found 15 common plants that effectively improve air quality. Based on ease-of-care, attainability, appearance and effectiveness, here are our top six air purifying plants.
6 Air Purifying Plants For Your Home
1. Bamboo Palm: It removes formaldahyde. It is also said to act as a natural humidifier.
2. Snake Plant: It to absorbs nitrogen oxides and formaldahyde.
3. Areca Palm: One of the best air purifying plants for general air cleanliness.
4. Spider Plant: It is a great indoor plant for removing carbon monoxide. The plant also removes other toxins or impurities. Spider plants are one of three plants NASA deems best at removing formaldahyde from the air.
5. Peace Lily: Peace lilies could be called the “clean-all.” They’re often placed in bathrooms or laundry rooms because they’re known for removing mold spores. Also known to remove formaldahyde and trichloroethylene.