5 Ways to Get Fluoride Out of Your Life
In the 1940s, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) started adding a toxic compound to public drinking water in the U.S., telling us that it would prevent cavities in children. The same substance was then added to just about every toothpaste and mouthwash made since. Few people know that fluoride (as sodium fluoride) is the active ingredient in good old-fashioned rat poison! Or that fluoride is the most toxic chemical found in nature, second only to arsenic.
Still today, few people realize that fluoride is a toxic waste product of phosphate mining. In fact, the faulty research that convinced us we all needed fluoride for our teeth was funded by the aluminum mining industry. Those industry businessmen weren’t concerned about cavities. They wanted to avoid the expense of disposing of this hazardous chemical byproduct, and make some quick bucks by selling it to the cities to be put in our water supply, essentially to drug us. But, the FDA never approved fluoride as a drug, and nobody has ever received a medical evaluation determining a need for this “drug.” So, technically, isn’t this all illegal?
In other countries that started this practice, the governments got smart sooner and eventually banned it. But here we are, 70-some years later, and many American cities are still buying the mining industry’s toxic leftovers — with our taxpayer dollars. And doctors and dentists still either agree with this practice, or stand silently by, allowing it to continue. No one wants to admit being wrong and no one wants to open the door to potential lawsuits.
One reason this practice persists is that fluoride won’t kill you, at least right away. It’s considered a “bio-accumulative toxin” that gradually builds up in your system. The effects become much more serious as your exposure increases.
Excessive fluoride exposure has also been linked to:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Learning problems
- ADHD (in rat studies)
- Disruption of the immune system
- Loss of collagen
- Thyroid disorders
- Gastrointestinal problems
- DNA damage & tumors
- Eczema & atopic dermatitis
Fluoride in the water supply is obviously a serious problem, especially since its effects on health happen slowly over time and are hard to trace back to the root cause. Fluoridated water even affects unborn babies, especially in brain development. In fact, when U.S. researchers looked at rural communities in upstate New York, they discovered that women who live in towns with fluoridated water deliver premature babies much more often than do women who live in towns without fluoride. And, young girls start menstruating five months earlier in areas of fluoridation than their counterparts in non-fluoridated areas.
Worse yet, when fluoride and aluminum are combined, the toxicity is such that scientists now warn that it can lead to Parkinson’s disease and Lou Gehrig’s disease (ALS). And since there is ample aluminum in our bodies from sources like aluminum cans and cookware, antiperspirants, vaccinations, and the baking powder that is used in all non-yeast-raised baked goods, the toxic combination of fluoride and aluminum is a very real danger.
And if that’s not scary enough, the toxic fluoride that is added to our water supply is often contaminated with toxic cadmium, lead and other deadly elements.
So what can you do?
Here’s a rundown of five things you can do to get fluoride out of your life. Start with your water. There are three basic ways to avoid having fluoride in your drinking water.
1. Drink fresh spring water or bottled spring water, whether it is brought home from the store, or through a delivery service. The only kind of bottled water that is safe is high-quality spring water, drawn from a deep natural spring that is regularly tested for toxic chemicals that could leach in through the grown. Read the bottle’s label to see how many minerals the spring water contains. Ones with the most magnesium are best. You do not want to drink any water that is without minerals, like distilled water, because this is not natural and your body may lose minerals over time if they are not replaced by the water you drink.
2. Install a high-quality water filter or water purification system. You will have to specifically ask the manufacturer if their filter removes fluoride and how much. A reverse osmosis system may remove up to 80% of the fluoride, but this system is an investment and requires professional installation.
3. Become active in your community and petition for the removal of fluoride from the municipal water supply, or more properly put, petition to save thousands of taxpayer dollars per year by discontinuing the addition of toxic waste (sodium fluoride) to the water supply. There is plenty of evidence that there is no dental benefit as once promoted and there is definitely evidence of fluoride’s toxicity that builds slowly in the body over time with exposure. Some municipalities have already discontinued this practice, while others will hang on to the practice until there is sufficient pressure to change.
4. Use fluoride-free toothpaste and mouthwash. Fluoride-free water is not the whole solution. You must also make sure to use fluoride-free toothpaste and mouthwash. You’ll have to read labels carefully, because even a natural brand like Tom’s of Maine, which never used to contain fluoride, now sells versions that do — since the company was bought by Colgate in 2006.
5. Don’t let your dentist put fluoride in your mouth. The next time you go to your dentist, skip the fluoride rinse. Better yet, find a natural or “biological” dentist that understands about the fluoride fallacy and, also understands the toxicity of mercury-containing amalgam fillings.
It’s a toxic world out there. You have to learn how to protect your health!
Recommended for you: