10 Ways to Keep Your Knees Strong and Pain-Free
I recently reviewed a compelling book The Arthritis Cure by Jason Theodorasakis, MD. Here is his “recipe” for arthritis prevention and relief”.
1. Do exercises that strengthen quads to reinforce knees.
2. Use low weight and high repetitions.
3. When doing squats, lunges, or leg presses, avoid locking knees completely.
4. Walk or run with the correct form.
5. Invest in a good pair of shoes that cushion the impact on knees.
6. Back off from activities such as walking hills or knee-bending exercises that cause you pain.
7. Stretch adequately, emphasizing quad and hamstring muscles. Warm up before stretching.
8. Consider preventative use of a high quality glucosamine and chondroitin supplement.
9. Avoid longterm over-the-counter (OTC) or prescription painkillers. These might damage joint health, even if they temporarily relieve pain.
10. Maintain a healthy weight.
Note: Always see a doctor if you experience knee pain that is not relieved by several days of rest, ice, massage and elevation.
The Anti-Aging Bottom Line: Osteoarthritis affects an estimated 35 million Americans after midlife and can be severely debilitating. It is important be proactive in preventing joint pain in order to preserve your quality of life as you age. Exercise is fundamental to preventing osteoarthritis, and fortunately, you can also use natural products like glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM to relieve the pain associated with joint inflammation.
QUICK TIP: You might be surprised to learn that there are ways to get your osteoarthritis symptoms under control with food and supplements. Learn More
Written exclusively for Stop Aging Now, the authority on anti-aging research, anti-aging nutrition, and anti-aging supplements.
Share the knowledge!
Article updated on: March 21st, 2008